Point 2 Standards
- All new staff should be orientated to the infant feeding policy within their first week of employment and then fully trained to implement the breastfeeding policy according to their role within six months.
- Written curricula that cover the Baby Friendly best practice standards should be available for all staff training.
- Breastfeeding training should be mandatory for all staff, and accurate records of attendance should be kept.
- All staff with responsibility for caring for breastfeeding mothers and babies should be able to answer questions on basic breastfeeding management correctly.
- All other staff employed directly by the facility who have contact with pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should receive training to enable them to provide information and to uphold the breastfeeding policy, as appropriate to their role.
Point 2 Assessment
Requirements at Stage 1:
- A written description of the mechanism for orientating new staff to the infant feeding policy.
- The written curriculum/a for all staff training related to breastfeeding.
- A written description of the content of the information and/or training on breastfeeding to be provided for GPs.
Requirements at Stage 2:
- Staff with responsibility for caring for breastfeeding mothers and babies to:
- confirm that they have been orientated to the infant feeding policy;
- confirm that they have received the training described by the facility;
- answer correctly a range of questions on basic breastfeeding management, relevant to their role in helping mothers to sustain breastfeeding.
- Evidence, from documented procedures and training records, to show that all other staff employed by the facility who have contact with pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers have been orientated to the breastfeeding policy and trained to provide information, as appropriate to their role.
Baby Friendly Initiative training
To find out about the training provided by the Baby Friendly Initiative, click on the Training tab at the top of this page. For more information on how to plan and deliver your own in-house training programme, click Curriculum guidance on the right or see what our Train the Trainer course has to offer.
The Baby Friendly Initiative provides an online training package for GPs which provides all the information needed to orientate doctors to the breastfeeding policy.