Twenty-three children between 14 and 17 years old were released from armed groups in Bangui on Thursday, with many more identified for release in the coming days. The children released yesterday, among whom six are girls, were taken from a military base to a UNICEF-supported Transit and Orientation Centre.
The children’s release is the result of negotiations between UN representatives and the transitional authorities to allow unimpeded access to all military bases in the country so that children found among the ranks of the ex-Seleka /national forces can be released to child protection actors.
“Renewed fighting in September and December 2013 put children at much higher risk of recruitment,” said Souleymane Diabaté, UNICEF Representative in CAR. “Violence and insecurity make children more vulnerable to recruitment, particularly if they are separated from their families, displaced from their homes or have limited access to basic services and education. Sometimes their grief over the loss of parents or siblings is also exploited.”
This last year of chronic crisis in CAR has spiralled into a complex protection and humanitarian emergency, with brutal consequences for children. The number of recruited children is believed to have risen considerably due to the escalation in fighting and the emergence of self-defence groups such as the anti-balaka. Although volatile security conditions make it extremely difficult for child protection actors to verify exact numbers, UNICEF estimates that the current number could be as high as 6,000.
“There is no place for children in armed conflict and we are greatly encouraged by this collaboration with the transitional authorities to return children to their childhoods,” Diabaté said. “In Bangui and around the country, UNICEF is working with all parties to the conflict to verify, release, and reunify children with their families. We are encouraged by this collaboration with the transitional authorities and continue to work with all parties for the release of all children without delay.”
The 23 children are now at a UNICEF-supported Transit and Orientation Centre that provides basic education, sports, vocational and life skills along with psychosocial support while the children’s families are traced and reintegration within their communities is prepared.
Since May 2013, UNICEF and partners have secured the release of 229 children associated with armed groups and forces in the Central African Republic.
Notes for editors:
UNICEF has worked in the Central African Republic since 1968. UNICEF has offices in Bangui, Bossangoa, and Kaga Bandoro, and leads a Rapid Response Mechanism with ECHO, ACTED and ACF (Action Against Hunger) that delivers emergency supplies to areas where there is virtually no humanitarian presence. The UNICEF CAR team includes over 100 staff, supported today by around 50 emergency support personnel.
UNICEF is the country’s major supplier of vaccines, therapeutic foods to treat child malnutrition, and water supplies. UNICEF leads the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene; Nutrition; Education clusters, and the Child Protection sub-cluster.
For further information please contact Rose Foley, UNICEF UK, + 44 (0)20 7375 6077 / Mobile: + 44 (0)7964 296 431 email@example.com
UNICEF is the world’s leading organisation for children, working in over 190 countries to help every child realise their full potential. We work with partners to transform the lives of children everywhere. UNICEF provides health care, water, nutrition, education and protection for children. The most vulnerable and disadvantaged children are our priority. As champion of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, we work to protect and promote the rights of every child. UNICEF UK raises funds for UNICEF’s emergency and development work and advocates for lasting change for children everywhere. We are a UK registered charity, supported entirely by voluntary donations. We do not receive any money from the UN. For more information, please visit www.unicef.org.uk