Baby Friendly statistics
This page shows our latest statistics of progress with Baby Friendly accreditation across the UK.
For statistics on breastfeeding rates in the UK, please consult the Breastfeeding rates in the UK.
To date in 2018 we have awarded:
- 6 Certificates of Commitment
- 6 Stage 1 accreditations
- 2 Stage 2 accreditations
- 7 full accreditations and 18 re-accreditations
In 2017 we awarded:
- 20 Certificates of Commitment
- 24 Stage 1 accreditations
- 23 Stage 2 accreditations
- 27 full accreditations and 81 re-accreditations
- 3 all-new GOLD AWARDS!
There are currently 91% of maternity services and 89% of health visiting services working towards Baby Friendly accreditation. In Universities there are 73% of Midwifery programmes and 20% of Health Visiting programmes working towards the award.
Overall full accreditations
In the UK the percentage of services with full Baby Friendly accreditation are:
- 61% of maternity services
- 66% of health visiting services
- Universities: 44% of Midwifery courses; 13% Health visiting courses
- We are delighted that 14 children’s centres and 5 neonatal units have also achieved full, independent accreditation.
Births taking place in fully accredited hospitals
- England 58%
- Northern Ireland 100%
- Scotland 100%/94%*
- Wales 79%
*All hospitals in Scotland achieved Baby Friendly accreditation, however one unit requires a follow up assessment
Page last updated: 10 April 2018.
This page is updated quarterly; for any further details or queries please email the Baby Friendly office.