Months after earthquakes in Türkiye (Turkey) and Syria children are still recovering, and now face a harsh winter.
On 6 February 2023, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake and several strong aftershocks struck Türkiye and Syria. Millions of people were affected.
On 20 February another earthquake of 6.3 magnitude was felt in Hatay, southern Türkiye. More people were injured or killed, and more buildings collapsed.
Months later, children and families are still recovering from these devastating earthquakes and now face plummeting winter temperatures in cold homes. We are especially concerned for the safety and well-being of children who have lost their homes, those who are sleeping rough in freezing temperatures, and those who have been separated from their families.
Please donate to help us reach the children affected by this disaster.
How will my donation help children?
In the aftermath of the earthquakes, UNICEF mobilised supplies and services to support the urgent needs of children and families affected in Syria and Türkiye.
In Syria, we are working to ensure access to clean water and nutrition, and seeking to secure children’s safety and wellbeing. While in Türkiye, we have mobilised vital emergency supplies and ensured access to safe spaces for children and families.
Where markets allow, UNICEF is supporting vulnerable children and families with cash assistance to access winter supplies, and elsewhere supplying winter clothes, blankets and other critical supplies to stay safe and warm.
Our response in Syria
Because we had supplies in Syria, we were able to reach people affected with key life-saving supplies within 48 hours of the earthquake. This included hygiene kits, drinking water and high energy biscuits.
- Health & nutrition – Since the beginning of the response more than 31,700 people have been provided with health and nutrition supplies. And we have screened over 61,000 children under 5 for malnutrition in North West Syria.
- Safe water & hygiene – we have rehabilitated water and sewage networks to provide access to safe drinking water to over 800,000 people.
- Child wellbeing – we have provided mental health and psychosocial support to over 183,000 children.
- Education – in the aftermath of the earthquakes we set up temporary learning spaces and delivered education supplies for more than 131,000 children.
Our response in Türkiye (Turkey)
- Critical supplies – Over 132,000 children now have access to critical supplies, including winter clothing, hygiene kits and electric heaters.
- Child wellbeing – Over 140,000 children have received psychological first aid.
- Education – We provided 27,000 children in earthquake affected areas with essential stationary and learning materials.
- Vaccination – UNICEF helped provide more than 1.3 million earthquake affected children with access to immunisation services.
Please help us reach the children and families affected by these devastating earthquakes. Donate today to our Türkiye and Syria earthquake appeal.
Donating by phone
If you’re in the UK and would prefer to make a donation by phone, you can call our dedicated donation line: 0300 330 5699. For other ways you can donate please refer to our Donation FAQs.
Please donate today and help children affected by this devastating earthquake.
For the first 6 months, your monthly gift will support children affected by the earthquakes in Türkiye and Syria. After that, your donations will help keep children safe and healthy worldwide. In the unlikely event that the funds raised exceed what’s needed for the appeal, we will direct any excess funds to support our work to help keep children safe and healthy around the world.
Donating Items and Volunteering
We’re currently not accepting any items for the emergency appeal. These kind offers are really appreciated, but any donated items will need to be sorted, cleaned and transported which could impact our response, so please consider making a monetary donation instead to our emergency appeals.
We’re not currently sending any volunteers to Türkiye or Syria.
The best way you can help support our emergency work in Türkiye and Syria is to donate money to the appeal. Please give what you can, your donations will help us to protect children in Türkiye and Syria.