This section guides services through new Achieving Sustainability standards and the Gold Award, designed to help embed high quality care for the long term.
Theme 1: Leadership: Develop a leadership team that promotes the Baby Friendly standards
- There is a named Baby Friendly lead/team with sufficient knowledge, skills and hours to meet their objectives
- There is a mechanism for the Baby Friendly lead/team to remain up-to-date with their education and skills
- A Baby Friendly Guardian with sufficient seniority and engagement is in post
- The leadership structures support proportionate responsibility and accountability
- All relevant managers are educated to support the maintenance of the standards.
Theme 2: Culture: Foster an organisational culture that protects the Baby Friendly standards
- There is support for ongoing staff learning
- There are mechanisms in place to support a positive culture, such as staff recognition schemes, mechanisms for staff to feedback concerns and systems to enable parents’ and families’ feedback to be heard and acted upon.
Theme 3: Monitoring: Construct robust monitoring processes to support the Baby Friendly standards – mechanisms to ensure that:
- Baby Friendly audits are carried out regularly according to service needs
- All relevant data is available and is accessed
- Data is analysed effectively and collectively to give an overall picture
- Action plans are developed in response to findings
- Relevant data is routinely reported to the leadership team
- Relevant data is routinely reported to Unicef UK.
Theme 4: Progression: Continue to develop the service in order to sustain the Baby Friendly standards
- The service demonstrates innovation and progress
- There is evidence to demonstrate that outcomes have improved
- The needs of babies, their mothers and families are met through effective integrated working
Resources to help you meet the standards
- Achieving sustainability guidance and application forms (download below)
- Achieving sustainability: Standards and guidance booklet
- Achieving sustainability: course
- Achieving sustainability: Should we go for the Gold award?
- Infosheet: The role of the Baby Friendly Guardian
- Guidance on writing a training curriculum
- Audit tool
- Annual audit forms
- Evidence and rationale: The Unicef UK Baby Friendly Standards
- Working within the International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes: A guide for health professionals
The impact of Achieving Sustainability
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust was the first maternity service to receive the Gold Award - find out about their journey and the difference it's making to familiesRead more
Achieving Sustainability GuidanceDownload
Achieving Sustainability Application formDownload
Achieving Sustainability Improvements report templateDownload
Achieving Sustainability Self-assessment toolDownload
Achieving Sustainability Timetable and senior staff interviewsDownload
Find out more
East Lancashire receives first maternity service Baby Friendly Achieving Sustainability Gold Award