This infographic and guidance supports health professionals when discussing co-sleeping and SIDS with parents.
Giving them all the facts and figures, this accessible guide assists health professionals to take a sensible, proportionate parent-centred approach in order to find practical solutions to this complex issue.
Please note, this infographic has been updated in October 2019 to reflect the most recent statistics on unexplained infant death.
For more support on discussing these issues with parents, see our Having meaningful conversations with mothers and Caring for your baby at night guides. We have also collaborated with The Lullaby Trust, Public Health England, and Basis (Baby Sleep Info Source, Durham University) to create a range of resources for parents and health professionals, with accessible guidance on safer sleep practices. Building a happy baby is useful guide for getting relationships and feeding off to a good start.
For more information on current research, see our dedicated research pages on infant sleep.
- The Baby Sleep Information Source (Basis) is a collaboration between Durham University Parent-Infant Sleep Lab, La Leche League, NCT, and Unicef UK Baby Friendly Initiative.
- We have collaborated with The Lullaby Trust, Public Health England, and Basis to create a range of resources for parents and health professionals, with accessible guidance on safer sleep practices. These are available to download and buy on The Lullaby Trust website.
- Safer Sleep for babies: a Guide for Parents
- Safer Sleep: Saving Babies Lives a Guide for Professionals
- Safer Sleep for Babies quick reference card.
Co-Sleeping and SIDS: A Guide for Health ProfessionalsDownload