Parents’ experiences of health visiting services
Achieving Stage 3 of accreditation is the final step in becoming Baby Friendly. At this Stage, the care mothers and babies have received will be assessed, with the following standards needing to be met.
- Support pregnant women to recognise the importance of breastfeeding and early relationships for the health and well-being of their baby.
- Enable mothers to continue breastfeeding for as long as they wish.
- Support mothers to make informed decisions regarding the introduction of food or fluids other than breastmilk.
- Support parents to have a close and loving relationship with their baby.
Stage 3 Guidance: Health visiting/public health nursing servicesDownload
Stage 3 Application form: Health visiting/public health nursing servicesDownload
Telephone numbers grid for health visiting assessmentDownload
Resources to help you meet the standards
More detailed information on how to meet the standards is in our Guide to the Baby Friendly Initiative standards. The following materials will also be helpful in implementing the standards for Stage 3.
- Stage 3 guidance and application form, which you can download from this page
- Sample mother consent form – see guidance document for further information
- Audit tools
- Breastfeeding assessment form
- Guidance on providing specialist support to breastfeeding mothers
- Guide to antenatal and postnatal conversations
- Responsive feeding infosheet
- Maximising breastmilk video
- Maximising breastmilk infopage
- Working with the International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes: A Guide for Health Workers
- Infant formula and responsive bottle feeding: a guide for parents
- Department of Health Guide to Bottle Feeding leaflet for parents
- Writing a hypoglycaemia policy
- Guidance on assessing supplements
- Caring for your baby at night leaflet for parents and accompanying health professional’s guide
- Co-sleeping and SIDS guide for health professionals
- Building a happy baby leaflet for parents
- Breastfeeding and relationships in the early days video
- The importance of relationship building video
- See also our courses page
How we will assess the standards
Once internal audit results indicate that the standards are being achieved, the Stage 3 assessment can take place. This involves Baby Friendly assessors visiting your facility and listening to mothers’ experiences of the care they have received.