Two young boys in the Za'atari refugee camp in Jordan. Unicef/2016/Baraa

Make your
fundraising legal

Home > Fundraising > Fundraising ideas and tool kit > Make your fundraising legal

Make sure your fundraising stays legal so you can raise as many donations as possible for UNICEF and help make a lasting difference for children worldwide.

Street collection guidelines and regulations 

Collections can be a fun way to raise donations and awareness for us, but first consider these useful guidelines:

  • For collecting on the street, you will need a licence from your local authority.
  • For collecting outside a supermarket store, you will need permission from the manager.
  • For collecting on private property you will need permission from the land owner.
  • Choose a popular location or a busy time to do your collection.
  • Give yourself time to secure a suitable date, especially if there is a high demand from other fundraisers.
  • Get other volunteers to help.
  • Only closed collection tins may be used so please ensure these are sealed at all times with the sticker we provide.

Once you have permission for your collection or to display a collection tin, fill in our event form stating where and when it will take place, and we will send you a collection tin.

Letter of Authority

When we send you a collection tin, we will also provide you with a letter of authority showing that we are aware of, and support, your fundraising. This letter does not constitute official permission for any fundraising activities and you must obtain any permits/licences from relevant authorities.

Returning your collection tin

When you have finished collecting, or if you no longer wish to collect for UNICEF, please return the tin to:

1 Westfield Avenue
London E20 1HZ
Tel: 0300 330 5580

We send chaser letters out approximately four times a year so if you are happy to continue fundraising, let us know. Otherwise, please return the tin.

Raffle guidelines

Holding a raffle is a great way to increase donations from your event.

Large scale raffle

If you are holding a large scale raffle you may need to obtain a small lotteries licence. You will need to contact your local authority to get this licence. You must not:

  • Sell tickets on the street or house to house
  • Anyone under the age of 16 may not sell or purchase tickets
  • Tickets must state that the lottery is in aid of UNICEF UK and include your name and address and date of the lottery draw.

Small Raffles

If you hold a small raffle on the day of your event you do not have to get a special licence as long as:

  • Any prizes purchased are worth a total of no more than £250. Donated prizes can be of unlimited value.
  • All tickets are sold on the same day as the raffle is drawn.
  • Tickets are sold for the same price and there are no discounts.
  • Prizes that involve alcohol are only included if the event is being held on licenced premises.
  • All tickets are sold on the same premises and on the same day as the raffle is drawn.

For more information please read the Institute of Fundraising Guidelines.

Under 18s – legal guidelines

If you are under 18 and holding a fundraising event, there are certain things that you will need help with. You should always ask an adult to help you with your fundraising to make sure you are safe.

There are some things that you cannot do if you do not have an adult to help you. These things are:

  • Street Collection
  • Raffles
  • An event involving alchohol

Need more help?