Fundraising ideas for faith groups
Fundraising this Christmas
Hold a candlelight collection for Syria’s children
While we celebrate Christmas, a time of family, faith, joy and giving, please remember Syria’s children. Having fled their homes because of war, too many now face a bitter winter in temporary shelter.
By holding a candlelight collection, your congregation can provide a Syrian child with winter essentials like ﬂeecy blankets to help protect them from the cold this winter. Together we can make sure that no Syrian child is left out in the cold this Christmas.
- Find a few empty jars and turn them into collection pots
- Safely light a candle and place it in a prominent place
- Print and display this poster (pdf)
- Ask your congregation, friends and visitors to take a moment to remember Syria’s children, and to make a donation
- Fill your jar with coins over the festive season. Once full, please bank the money you’ve raised, and send a cheque payable to Unicef UK to this address:
30a Great Sutton Street
London EC1V 0DU
Please don’t forget to give us the details of your collection, using this printable form (pdf)
Zakat and Ramadan
Zakat is one of the five pillars of Islam. Any Muslim who possesses the required nisaab (the minimum amount of wealth that one must have before Zakat is payable) for one whole year is bound to pay Zakat.
If you’d like your Zakat to go to Unicef, you can find out how much Zakat you owe by visiting this calculator on Just Giving: How to Calculate Zakat. A lot of people choose to pay their Zakat during the month of Ramadan as it’s considered the month of blessings, when the rewards for good deeds are greater than in any other month.
Other ways to get involved
Unicef works with many faiths across the world, and our supporters come from a wide range of faiths too. No matter what faith you are, your congregation or faith group can make a valuable contribution to our work:
- Take a collection of donations for our latest emergency appeal. To order gift aid envelopes for a collection, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make Unicef one of the charities you support. Email or phone us on 0300 330 5580 to find out more.